Occasional Contributor
Purdy1964

phone line problem

Hi, I am posting here in sheer desperation, I originally phoned a problem on my landline about 3 weeks ago, picked up telephone and line was very crackly so much so that you cannot hear the dialtone at all. I went thru the usual checks of changing filters to putting a corded telephone on the line, removing filters and plugging phone direct into socket all to no avail and was told the problem would be escalated to second line support, I ask that they contact my mobile phone as the landline is unusable.
several days passed with no contact so I phoned back to be told they had been phoning my landline which has the fault, told they would contact me via mobile phone, a week passed with no contact so phoned again with the same response.
The next day I received a text saying line had been tested with no fault found, my line still doesn’t work though.
It's now three weeks since I first contacted talktalk with this problem, nobody has contacted me I have to contact support. all filters have been tested, corded phone plugged direct into socket without filters and broadband removed and the master socket has now been checked by an electrician to make sure it's wired ok which it is.
Please please can someone help as we are getting desperate as we have family in university who we need to contact on a regular basis to make sure they are ok, this is very expensive to do via a mobile.
Any help would be so much appreciated.
Regards
David
Super Contributor
sunnydave

Re: phone line problem

Hello & welcome,
This is definitely the best place to get your problem sorted - don't phone the (not very good :smileysurprised:) customer service line - save your money.
Unfortunately the forum is only covered by talktalk staff during the normal working day - but don't worry, one of them will pick this up tomorrow and get your problems sorted out.
Cheers
dave:robotwink:

making a trunk call :robotwink:

It's better to burn out than it is to rust :robotwink:

Super Contributor
BryanA

Hi Purdy1964

As Sunny Dave has already mentioned, the TalkTalk admins will reply in the morning, they usually start fairly early.

One thing they normally ask is if you can check if your master socket is the BT NTE5 style
i.e. Does the master socket have a split faceplate with two screws holding the lower half of the faceplate ?
If yes, please unscrew the lower half and remove the faceplate to reveal the test socket. (This disconnects all your internal phone extensions to rule out internal wiring problems)

Then plug a wired phone into the test socket, and check if the fault remains.
Post back here to confirm you have done this test.

If you can also confirm that you are 100% sure the phone is in good working order (maybe if you have tested it on a family or friends line) that also rules out a faulty phone.
The alternative is to test two different phones in the test socket to confirm the fault is the same on both.

Leave it connected like this until the admin staff tell you the next step
Regards
BryanA
Occasional Contributor
Purdy1964

Thank you Dave, I hope they can as we are getting desperate to talk properly with our 2 daughters who are quite a few hundred miles away at uni and the mobile calls to uni are very high as they use premium rated numbers.
Many thanks for the reply.
David
Occasional Contributor
Purdy1964

Thanks Bryan.
I don't have a BT test socket and yes the corded phone definately works as I took it next door who kindly plugged it into their socket and it worked just fine.
David
OCE_Debbie
Topics: 1
Kudos: 1,058
Solutions: 488

Hi Purdy1964

Welcome to the forums.

I am sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing with the landline service. I am just sending you a private message to confirm a couple of details so we can investigate this fault further via the forum.

Thanks

Debbie

Be sure to give kudos and accept your solution

Occasional Contributor
Purdy1964

Hi Debbie

Thank you for the response. I just checked my email at 09.18am but have not received anything as yet, nothing gets directed to junk or spam. Could you send again please.

David
OCE_Michelle
Topics: 4
Kudos: 1,020
Solutions: 420

Hi Purdy1964

If you click on private messages (highlighted in blue) in the top right hand corner of the forum you should see Debbies PM.

Thanks

Michelle :smileyhappy:

Occasional Contributor
Purdy1964

Thanks Michelle.
OCE_Debbie
Topics: 1
Kudos: 1,058
Solutions: 488

Hi Purdy1964

Thank you for the DPA confirmation via PM.

Also thank you for confirming that you do not have a test socket and that you have tested different filters and a corded handset at the master socket.

We can log this fault for further investigation with our network team and we will keep you updated via the forum.

If you could confirm that you accept possible time related charges if fault was proven to be with your own equipment or internal wiring, for further information on possible time related charges please see the link in my signature below.

Thanks

Debbie

Occasional Contributor
Purdy1964

I confirm I accept the TRC.
Regards
David
OCE_Michelle

Hi Purdy1964

Thank you for the confirmation of possible TRCS.

We will pass this over to our Network team now, please can you also send me an alternative contact/mobile number via a private message in case the engineers need to contact you.

Thanks

Michelle

OCE_Michelle

Hi David

PM received

We will advise as soon as we receive an update back.

Thanks

Michelle :smileyhappy:

OCE_Michelle

Hi Purdy1964

We have received an update back from CPWN to advise that a Tam switch test is required to progress the fault further.

This will involve a Network engineer calling you on the landline and switching the line to a dummy number. The engineer will then call back to see if the noise is still present.
This test will help the engineers to locate where the fault lies.

Please can you advise the best time for a Network engineer to call and complete this test?

Thanks

Michelle

Occasional Contributor
Purdy1964

Thank you Michelle

I will be at home today between 12.25 and 1.15, and then at 17.15 for the evening.

Tuesday after 17.15 for the evening.

If this is not conveniant than I might be able to take a morning or afternoon off later this week if you could let me know If any of these is OK I would be most grateful.

Regards
David
OCE_Michelle

Hi David

Thank you for providing your availability. I will pass this over to our Network team and you will receive a call from our Network engineers to complete this test. We will also continue to monitor the fault ticket for any further updates.

Thanks

Michelle

Occasional Contributor
Purdy1964

Hi Michelle just to let you know I will be at home from 2.15 to 4.15 so hope they can do the test this afternoon.

David
OCE_Michelle

Hi

Thanks, I will pass this information over.

Thanks

Michelle

OCE_Michelle

Hi David

I have called our Network team and have been advised that the tam switch test was completed this afternoon and that the fault has been passed to a BTOR line engineer.

I will check for a further update tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Michelle

OCE_Michelle

Hi David

I have requested a further update and I will advise as soon as I receive a response back.

Thanks

Michelle