Hi. I've just joined TalkTalk after many years with Virgin and am having problems with my Apple peripherals staying connected to the TalkTalk router. I have an iMac connected by Ethernet cable to the Huawei hg521 in one room. In another room I have an Apple TV box connected to the television and an Airport Express (AE) connected to a hifi for streaming music. I also have an AE in another room connected to a printer for wireless printing. The two AEs and the Apple TV are connected to the wireless network (the green light is on the AEs and the Apple TV can connect to the Internet), but the devices keep randomly appearing and then disappearing from iTunes/Airport Utility/AirTunes (via iPad). I called TalkTalk when I first had the problems, and I was sent a replacement router. However, I think this is a settings issue rather than hardware. I'm not very comfortable making changes to router settings, but have tried a few things. Today I changed the security from WPA2 to WPA, which had a positive effect as I was able to use AirTunes on the iPad with the hifi AE for about 3 hours. Which is about 2.5 hours longer than my previous best connection! However, after a break of a few hours, the connection is gone again. If I reboot the router it works again, but only temporarily! Has anyone successfully connected these Apple devices to a Huawei hg521 network? If so, what are the settings, please?
Hi. The huawei was set to OnDemand, so I've changed it to Always On. Obviously, the problem is that it will connect the devices now, but I won't be able to tell for a while if it's a longterm success! I shall report back in the morning. Regarding another router, I used a Belkin 54g whilst I was with Virgin. Initially it worked when I switched to TalkTalk, but after an 'upgrade at the telephone exchange', the adsl and broadband lights were going out every five minutes! As it was quite old anyway, I thought I'd just use the Huawei instead. It connects to the Internet okay, it's just the wifi I'm having trouble with. I did get the Belkin out again the other day to give it another go with different mtu settings, but to no avail. It was losing adsl connection again. The broadband in the area is pretty poor. We're a fair way from the exchange, 1.8mbps is a maximum and BT Openreach vans are forever down the street!!! However, I'm guessing that the wifi issue isn't necessarily connected to the poor broadband as it's a problem with devices 'talking to each other' on the wifi network rather than connecting externally to the Internet! But I stand to be corrected. As I said before, I'm a bit out of my depth with the router settings. Thanks for your help.
No change, I'm afraid. The devices appeared initially, but have disappeared now. I should also mention that if I use the iPad or iPhone on the internet, they regularly lose the connection to the router. I often have to turn the iPad or iPhone wifi off and on again to reestablish connection to the Huawei. I guess this is a related connection issue! It's all very frustrating.
Just to close the circle, I found a solution to the problem. It's not an ideal solution, but it works! Despite spending the whole day yesterday changing settings on the Huawei, I couldn't get any of the Apple devices to stay permanently connected. So, I used one of my Airport Express boxes to create a new wireless network. The AE is wired to the Huawei. All the devices are connected by wifi to the new AE network. So far, it's worked perfectly. I was able to stream music for several hours. Then switch everything off and back on again, and the connection remained! The iPad and iPhone are also staying connected to the AE network. There's obviously something in the Huawei's wifi settings that doesn't like Apple peripherals. If anyone knows how to change the settings, I'd be delighted to hear. In the meantime, I've got a solution that works. However long-winded it is!!!
I'm also having issues with the Apple TV losing connection to both my iPhone and iTunes on windows laptop.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Resetting a combination of the router, wifi/remote app on iPhone, and laptop generally fixes it. Have observed no pattern to the problem. Extremely frustrating.
Router is HG532 (I'm not on the trial, I just got it when the first one I received didn't work). Would be happy to try the firmware beta if it's an improvement!
Hello - I have this problem too. I have two apple TV's (one old, one new) and an airport express that I use for distributing music around the house. They worked fine with my BT Home hub, but on switching to Talk Talk and the Huawei router, I get the connection problems you describe. One of the Apple TV's is hard-wired and this doesn't suffer from the connection woes.
I've spent a long time searching for an answer to this but sadly had no luck in finding a solution.
But I have got a quite satisfactory workaround. I initially thought, "no problem, I'll just use the BT router" but I can't as it is tied to BT via its firmware. Pants.
So now I am using both the Huawei router and the BT hub. The Huawei provides the internet gateway and the BT hub provides the wireless. This should obviously work with any other router, not just a BT hub. Simply connect the two via an ethernet cable and disable WLAN on the Huawei so that there is no possible conflict/interference.
I realise that this isn't ideal, and it does rather assume that you have another router laying around, but it does work. I'll keep my eye on the forum and if someone finds a better solution I'll try it. But in the meantime, I've got Tom Waits back.