Super Contributor
Stanislas
Founder

AOL?

Can one of the OCE's please explain why I have received an "Updated terms of Service and Privacy Policy for AOL Users" email to my TalkTalk address??:smileymad:
Appreciate that CPW/TT acquired AOL but why should I be getting this when I have never had any dealings with AOL?:smileymad:
No urgency, just curious.:smileyvery-happy:
Many thanks
Stan

I let my mind wander - and it hasn't come back!!!
Super Contributor
MikeDT
Founder

Re: AOL?

I think that the answer to this was one I posted the other day (www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58655): basically because TT use AOL's software for e-mail, having taken over AOL UK's customers.
Mike
OCE_Emma
Topics: 3
Kudos: 508
Solutions: 279
Founder

Hi Stan,

I would imagine MikeDT is correct. Is there any kind of reference number on the e-mail you received so I can look into it further?

Cheers
Em x

Valued Contributor
baz134dog
Founder

Hi Em,

The email is from AOLLegal@dc.aol.com and all links go to dc.aol.com/cgi-bin25/DM/t/h5WpOB.......(slightly different ending)

Do want me to forward a copy to you (email address please)?

Dear AOL Users,

AOL is working hard to change and improve the way we serve you across all aspects of our services. We have recently relaunched and improved many of our consumer experiences, including AOL.com and MapQuest.com. As we continue to improve AOL for you, some of the improvements are updating the ways that we interact with you and your information. As a result, we want to update you on our Terms of Service (TOS), which contains the agreements between you and AOL.

In addition, we are also updating our Privacy Policy. Privacy is incredibly important to all of us and we want to present the updates to our privacy policy in a simplified format designed to help clarify what information we collect, how we use it, and the marketing preferences and online advertising choices available to you. Both the updated TOS and Privacy Policy are available online now and will take effect on March 31, 2011.

Want to know the highlights? Here they are:

* We consolidated multiple agreements into one new TOS and Privacy Policy. These new agreements apply to your use of all AOL sites on which they are posted. We also added terms about mobile services.

* We simplified the format and language of the TOS and Privacy Policy to make them easier to understand.

* We specify that our services are for individuals at least 13 years old, unless we specifically indicate that services are appropriate for younger users.

* We clarify that for content you post on any AOL sites, you continue to own the content and AOL has the right to use and share your content.

* We updated the processes for reporting alleged copyright and trademark violations and include links that will make it easier for you to report those violations.

* We simplified and updated the "Billing" section of the TOS. We want to make sure that you understand how and when we will bill you for any fee-based services, how to cancel any fee-based services, when surcharges or extra costs may apply to access AOL services, how to contact us, and how to dispute any charges. If you only use our free services, don't fret, these changes only apply to our fee-based services.

As of March 31, 2011, the new TOS and Privacy Policy will govern your use of AOL services. If you do not agree to the new TOS or Privacy Policy, you should consider not using AOL's services to meet your needs online and you should cancel services before the roll-out of the updated Privacy Policy and TOS on March 31, 2011. If you have any questions, please contact us.

Thank you for using AOL.

Team AOL
OCE_Emma
Founder

Hi baz134dog,

That should be fine. I'll try to do some digging!

Cheers
Em x

Super Contributor
Stanislas
Founder

Thanks Baz/Emm,
Baz pipped me to sending you a cut and pasted copy.
Don't bust a "you know what" on it
Stan

I let my mind wander - and it hasn't come back!!!
OCE_Emma
Founder

Hi Guys,

it seems these have gone to TalkTalk customers in error and the senior management team are looking into why etc.

Cheers
Em x

Super Contributor
K9
Founder

Originally Posted by OCE_Emma
Hi Guys,

it seems these have gone to TalkTalk customers in error and the senior management team are looking into why etc.

Cheers
Em x

Now there's a surprise lol lol lol
OCE_Emma
Founder

lol thanks K9!

Trusted Contributor
M44RKD
Founder

yep i got 1 titles AOLLegal today also
Super Contributor
westendboy
Founder

Chris Ford actually brought this to our attention some days ago. (Well mine anyway)lol
www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58714

Barney for Leader of the UN.

Super Contributor
The Islander
Founder

I just got that email myself this morning. So they are still sending them.
Regards

Peter
The Islander

Frequent Contributor
braingoing
Founder

As a Ex AOL customer the one thing that I found out the hard way, (had my ID Stolen/Used) was never ever give any detaiols to anyone who requests them online. Me may be an old fool but not when it comes to my details.
Regards, R. <{:smileysurprised:)
ps. my spam file gets a lot of use
Super Contributor
iamisaid
Founder

Add me to list of AOL e-mail recipients - have never dealt with the outfit.
Contributor
lightfoot
Founder

Hi ! Emma you can also add me to the list as having recieved the email (TOS) from AOL and have never had any dealings with them...how did they get my email address ? would like to know why and what is being done to correct this !.
Lightfoot.
Contributor
Gabriel
Founder

I too received this email today.

A friend of mine who is also a Talktalk customer received this email earlier this week.

Worth noting, these emails were sent to our talktalk accounts (*******@talktalk.net) and not to the email addresses registered with Talktalk to receive TT bills etc.

My talktalk email address is used for private emails, only known by a selected few and should never have been on any mailing list so I cannot understand how AOL/Talktalk were able to add this address to their customer list?
Trusted Contributor
M44RKD
Founder

Originally Posted by Gabriel
I too received this email today.

A friend of mine who is also a Talktalk customer received this email earlier this week.

Worth noting, these emails were sent to our talktalk accounts (*******@talktalk.net) and not to the email addresses registered with Talktalk to receive TT bills etc.

My talktalk email address is used for private emails, only known by a selected few and should never have been on any mailing list so I cannot understand how AOL/Talktalk were able to add this address to their customer list?

u are a talk talk customer therefore have a talk talk email address which is therefore owned by talktalk, and as they suppy ur BB then ov course u will b on there customer list....
Contributor
Gabriel
Founder

Originally Posted by markdyer72
u are a talk talk customer therefore have a talk talk email address which is therefore owned by talktalk, and as they suppy ur BB then ov course u will b on there customer list....

Sorry, markdyer7, I don't agree with your comment that as a TT customer, TT own my email address and have the right to add my address to unsolicited mail. TT were supplied by me with an alternative email address for all correspondence.

This is no different from illegal email harvesting that you expect from free web mail services.
Super Contributor
K9
Founder

I also received this today to my Talktalk email addy not to my billing addy. However this is not like harvesting as Talktalk email uses the AOL system and by agreeing to terms of use when setting up your email address, then that gives them the right to email you with changes to terms of service etc.
Community Star
jcampy
Founder

K9 os right thisis an auto email to all address using the aol system this includes all tt emails s
This is a legal requrirement when any change the TOS

Don't forget to add your phone number to your forum profile