Occasional Contributor
snowball
Founder

Tesco.net, problems accessing e-mail

Hi, been trying unsucessfully to access my long established tesco.net e-mail, either through MS Outlook or webmail direct. Outlook appears to time out, but having increased the timeout delay to 5 minutes, its then clear it goes to error sooner than that. Thru webmail, the presented log-in page carries BBCnews at least a week old?
Just spoken to Tesco, they claim that Talk Talk are deliberately blocking user access to their site.
Is this true? And if it is can you pls explain Why?
:smileymad:
New Contributor
stepdey
Founder

Re: Tesco.net, problems accessing e-mail

Presumably snowball, you used to be with Tesco as your ISP, like I was, until joining Talktalk a couple of months ago.
I get the much the same results as you describe ( although I must admit that find it a bit strange that after leaving Tesco, my Tesco email address is still active )although I've linked my previous Tesco email address to my Talktalk email address so they appear when I access my Talktalk email (can't remember how I did so )
I too liked the BBC homepage for news and weather info, seems a lot less clutered than the Talktalk homepage.
Occasional Contributor
snowball
Founder

Hi stepdey,thanks. But I've been with TT for the last 4 years and always retained my old 'tesco.net' e-mail address, just adjusted the Outlook settings to accomodate.
Found on another part of the forums a suggested solution by changing the router DNS settings. Sadly it hasn't worked for me.
Whats most frustrating is the lack of positive info, yeah or neah. But thats customer service i guess.
Super Contributor
m4nd4li4
Founder

Originally Posted by snowball
Hi stepdey,thanks. But I've been with TT for the last 4 years and always retained my old 'tesco.net' e-mail address, just adjusted the Outlook settings to accomodate.
Found on another part of the forums a suggested solution by changing the router DNS settings. Sadly it hasn't worked for me.
Whats most frustrating is the lack of positive info, yeah or neah. But thats customer service i guess.

Hi,
What settings in Outlook are you using in order to send/receive tesco.net emails?
m4nd4li4
Remember, Google is your friend!
Occasional Contributor
snowball
Founder

Hi m4nd4li4,
in outlook, Tools/internet accts/mail/servers
then incoming mail set as, mail.tesco.net
and outgoing mail set as, smtp.talktalk.net

I take no credit for it. My son set it up for me about 4 years ago when i first joined TT. Has worked fine ever since.
Hope it helps you.
Super Contributor
m4nd4li4
Founder

Originally Posted by snowball
Hi m4nd4li4,
in outlook, Tools/internet accts/mail/servers
then incoming mail set as, mail.tesco.net
and outgoing mail set as, smtp.talktalk.net
I take no credit for it. My son set it up for me about 4 years ago when i first joined TT. Has worked fine ever since.
Hope it helps you.

Hello Snowball,
The settings are correct. And you cannot access email from webmail I do not believe that TT would deliberately block emails from tesco.net. Could be a problem at tesco.net. Looking at Tesco's service status page here, the one for Email is more than 2 months old!!! Try again over the weekend. may have been resolved. :robotwink:
m4nd4li4
Remember, Google is your friend!
Occasional Contributor
snowball
Founder

Hi m4nd4li4,
Have done quite a bit more digging around on this same subject. Surprise surprise, look at post 450 on www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41441&page=45
There are over 500 posts on this topic some of them from people now very angry. Whilst TT are not,it seems directly blocking access to other sites, the TT use of dynamic IP adressses in a recently released range, is causing other sites who have not yet updated their allowable Ip address ranges, to block bona fide users. One such is Tesco.net. This has been going on for while now. So far as I can ascertain TT take the view that the rest of the world needs to catch them up, they are not at fault (which is true)........and the rest of the world says TT have caused the problem by using the range prematurely. When I was working we'd run field trials before making such changes, but guess thats old hat! TT could reverse their decision, even if only for a month or two to allow the rest of the world to catch up, but that would mean a head on the block and we cant allow that. I just the customer who pays the money for everybody's wages and I've a long memory!!!
N/A
Eltel
Founder

I don't know about being blocked. Tesco tell me though they have had hundreds of complaints in the past few days. TalkTalk of course say the fault is with me or Tesco and they have had no one else complain. Typical. Why will talktalk never admit they have problems and always blame the customer or someone else.
Occasional Contributor
snowball
Founder

Hi Eltel,
suggest you look at 'Broadband Speed & Web Browsing' Forum pages
About page 45-47 you'll find a good description of whats awry. Lokk also at the Forum header incident note
TTFN
New Contributor
kentnicklloyd
Founder

Originally Posted by m4nd4li4
Hello Snowball,

The settings are correct. And you cannot access email from webmail I do not believe that TT would deliberately block emails from tesco.net. Could be a problem at tesco.net. Looking at Tesco's service status page here, the one for Email is more than 2 months old!!! Try again over the weekend. may have been resolved. :robotwink:

m4nd4li4

webmail is just that it uses HTTP port 80, usually try using webmail.tesco.net/ the page opens but as I don't have a tesco account I can not test the servers themselves.

I can guess the status only gets updated if there's a problem.

Nick
Frequent Contributor
boris beaver
Founder

I've just logged into the webmail.tesco.net with my tesco.net account details and all appears ok with the servers.
OCE_Mark
Topics: 10
Kudos: 650
Solutions: 378
Founder

Hi snowball,

can you confirm if your still experiencing these issues as the problems accessing webpages issue should now be resolved.

Cheers

M:smileyhappy: