New Contributor
garyfromuk
Founder

VAT Number

Hi, I require a VAT number on my bill in order for me to claim my broadband access as expenses from my employer.

I notice that on the online bills there is VAT charged, but no VAT number?

Can you advise me what the VAT number is please, or better still send me a proper bill with the VAT number on it.

Thanks
OCE_Emma
Topics: 2
Kudos: 445
Solutions: 272
Founder

Re: VAT Number

Hi garyfromuk,

As TalkTalk is a residential provider we do not supply VAT invoices.

Cheers
Em x

Contributor
ryanc
Founder

Surely if a company charges VAT they should be in a position to supply a VAT receipt when required.

One might find that this is a legal requirement when it is requested by a customer.

I suggest you get you legal team to have a quick look at this.
Wise man never play leapfrog with unicorn.
Man who stands on toilet is high on pot.
man who sink into woman's arms soon have arms in woman's sink.
the best way to save face to keep the lower part shut.
OCE_Emma
Founder

Hi Ryanc,

There are several other threads on this issue where this has been addressed. Please use the search function if you wish to view the threads.

Cheers
Em x

Super Contributor
zeus
Founder

Originally Posted by OCE_Emma
Hi garyfromuk,

As TalkTalk is a residential provider we do not supply VAT invoices.

Cheers
Em x

Hi Em

Please refer to HMRC document 'Notice 700 The VAT Guide' which gives further information regarding this. The HMRC site has problems referencing that document at the moment, but a subset containing relevant details is available here - http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pa.... If there is a request from a customer for a VAT invoice section 16 in particular applies, which contains the following paragraphs ...

16.2.1 What is a VAT invoice and when should I issue one?
Whenever you supply standard-rated or reduced-rated goods or
services to another registered person, you must give that person a VAT invoice.

A VAT invoice is a document containing certain information about
what you are supplying. Paragraph 16.3 sets out the information you need to show. Your customers need VAT invoices to reclaim, as
input tax, the VAT you have charged them.

You need not issue VAT invoices for supplies to customers who are
not VAT registered. In practice, this will probably mean issuing a VAT invoice to any customers who ask for one, as you will usually have no way of telling whether they are VAT registered or not. You do not have to check that a customer is VAT registered before issuing a VAT invoice.

and ....

16.6 Less detailed and modified VAT invoices
If you make retail sales, you should give your customer a VAT
invoice if asked for one. However, you may be able to use one of the options described at 16.6.1 and 16.6.2 below (see also paragraph 16.2.1).
You may be liable to a financial penalty if you do not issue a
VAT invoice when asked to do so by a taxable person.

It is also very probable that due to the nature of the services provided and the ways in which they are offered and sold, sections referencing distance selling would also apply.

As the requester has a legitimate requirement from an employer to provide the VAT details in order to reclaim expenses the requested information should be supplied. As the HMRC document recognises, you will not know whether the customer is individually registered or not, therefore if TalkTalk refuse to issue the VAT invoice as requested, there is the possibility of the HMRC financial penalty as advised ..... Unless your financial director knows different, of course .... :smileyvery-happy:

Cheers .... :smileyhappy:
Ζεύς
'You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honour' - Aristotle(384-322BC)
'All speech is vain and empty unless it be accompanied by action' - Demosthenes (384-322BC)
Do we learn ?
Contributor
ryanc
Founder

Thanks Zues, I wasn't going to waste my time doing the hard work for TT.

I knew it was a legal requirement as I do this on a regular ocassion and so far only TT have refuse/been unwilling.

Took some time and found:

www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/charging/vat-invoices.htm#3

When a VAT invoice must be issued
If you are registered for VAT you must give any VAT-registered customers a VAT invoice for any standard-rated or reduced-rated goods or services you sell them.

If you are a retailer, you do not need to issue a VAT invoice or receipt unless your customer asks for one.

As a VAT-registered supplier, you may be liable to a fine if you do not issue a VAT invoice for a supply you have made when asked to do so by a VAT-registered customer.

There is a time limit within which VAT invoices must be issued – see the section in this guide on time limits for issuing VAT invoices.

When a VAT invoice must not be issued
You must not issue a VAT invoice in the following situations:

•you are not registered for VAT
•you and your customer use self-billing arrangements or you use authenticated receipts - see the link below
•you make a gift of goods on which VAT is due - see the link below
•you are selling goods using the VAT margin scheme for second-hand goods - instead, there are different rules you must follow on your invoice - see the link below
•you are selling goods using the Tour Operators' Margin Scheme
•you are issuing a 'pro forma' invoice - see the section in this guide on pro-forma invoices

So in conclusion I must concur with Zeus that TT must supply a VAT receipt to garyfromuk as TT do not meet the criteria for not issuing a VAT receipt.
Wise man never play leapfrog with unicorn.
Man who stands on toilet is high on pot.
man who sink into woman's arms soon have arms in woman's sink.
the best way to save face to keep the lower part shut.
OCE_Emma
Founder

Hi All,

This has been covered before in previous threads and the legal implications have already been discussed. The bottom line is that TalkTalk do not supply VAT invoices as the service is a residential service not a business service. We have provided feedback to the billing assurance team regarding this and if changes were necessary I am sure they would have implimented them.

Any customer wishing to dispute this or further their requests for a VAT invoice is welcome to use the complaints procedure as detailed in the Code of Conduct on the TalkTalk website. The forum team can not provide VAT invoices for any customer.

Cheers
Em x

Super Contributor
zeus
Founder

Originally Posted by OCE_Emma
Hi All,

This has been covered before in previous threads and the legal implications have already been discussed. The bottom line is that TalkTalk do not supply VAT invoices as the service is a residential service not a business service. We have provided feedback to the billing assurance team regarding this and if changes were necessary I am sure they would have implimented them.

Any customer wishing to dispute this or further their requests for a VAT invoice is welcome to use the complaints procedure as detailed in the Code of Conduct on the TalkTalk website. The forum team can not provide VAT invoices for any customer.

Cheers
Em x

Hi Em

I've checked through the history available on this forum and other sources and there are numerous occasions where the requested VAT information has been made available and posted to the customer, without charge.

If you can supply details of the relevant leglislative dispensations which the billing assurance team at TalkTalk have in place regarding this which can provide assurance that they are correct then I am sure that everyone concerned will be happy. Regarding the reference to the complaints procedure, surely this is totally irrelevant as this would relate to a legal requirement upon TalkTalk, therefore direction from HMRC would be more appropriate.

Having been directly involved in corporate discussions with HMRC regarding VAT on a number of occasions, I am positive that your billing assurance team, if requested, will do their best to provide publishable details to support their position by return in order to clear the issue without the need to get HMRC involved.

Cheers .... :smileyhappy:
Ζεύς
'You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honour' - Aristotle(384-322BC)
'All speech is vain and empty unless it be accompanied by action' - Demosthenes (384-322BC)
Do we learn ?
New Contributor
garyfromuk
Founder

All I would like to know is your VAT number. I'll just write it on the invoice myself.
New Contributor
garyfromuk
Founder

I'd like to add that if a VAT invoice is not forthcoming I will report Talk Talk to trading standards as I specifically asked when sold the service and was assured that there would not be a problem.
OCE_Emma
Founder

Hi garyfromuk,

I can request this for you and I'll post it if I receive a reply.

Cheers
Em x

OCE_Emma
Founder

Hi garyfromuk,

TalkTalks VAT number is 744032068.

Cheers
Em x

N/A
BrendanOxford
Founder

Hi
Please could you confirm that the Talk Talk VAT number for residential telephone is 744032068.

Many thanks.
Super Contributor
petera
Founder

GaryfromUK - I cannot understand why your employer should need a VAT invoice since you are the customer. If my understanding of VAT is correct I do not think your employer should be using an invoice addressed to you to reclaim VAT for his business - even if he refunds your costs - because the supply is made to you.

I think TalkTalk only has an obligation to supply a VAT invoice to a VAT registered customer. I assume you are not VAT registered so I do not see TalkTalk has any obligation to provide a VAT invoice to you.

The question might be different if Talk Talk supplied service to a VAT registered customer. I think they might then be bound to provide a VAT invoice, even if it was in contravention of their conditions that the customer must be residential.

Petera
Super Contributor
zeus
Founder

Originally Posted by petera
GaryfromUK - I cannot understand why your employer should need a VAT invoice since you are the customer. If my understanding of VAT is correct I do not think your employer should be using an invoice addressed to you to reclaim VAT for his business - even if he refunds your costs - because the supply is made to you.

I think TalkTalk only has an obligation to supply a VAT invoice to a VAT registered customer. I assume you are not VAT registered so I do not see TalkTalk has any obligation to provide a VAT invoice to you.

The question might be different if Talk Talk supplied service to a VAT registered customer. I think they might then be bound to provide a VAT invoice, even if it was in contravention of their conditions that the customer must be residential.

Petera

Hi Petera

I'd guess that the situation would be one similar to what i've experienced in the past.

Consider an organisation which runs an 'out of pocket' expenses reclaim system in which one of the rules is that all claims must be backed with documented proof of expense, including VAT registration number, else the claim will not be processed, as is the case in many such schemes. An employee could easily be placed in a temporary situation where, due to time zone differences, his/her own telephone must be used to make out of normal working hours calls from home to locations on the other side of the world, and these calls could be long and very expensive ..... using TalkTalk's logic on not providing the VAT details the employee is really stuck, the employer will not pay & the telephone service provider will not play .....

Fortunately, this scenario no longer applies to me ...

Cheers ... :smileyhappy:
Ζεύς
Do we learn ?
Occasional Contributor
n2adl

Hi all I've just spent 1 hour on the phone to customer services and teh only way I could get a vat number from them was to pay £1.90 / month for a paper bill, which has teh vat number on it

no one I spoke to (4 in all) could give me the info.

so I googled it and came up with GB744032068, which seems to be the number many threads and discussion forums state.

I'm just shocked at the shocking customer service TT provide. Having been a customer for 5 whole days now, I can't wait for the other 359 to pass, so I can move to an ISP that treats its customers with respect.

Andy

Valued Contributor
clint
Founder

n2adl wrote:

Hi all I've just spent 1 hour on the phone to customer services and teh only way I could get a vat number from them was to pay £1.90 / month for a paper bill, which has teh vat number on it

no one I spoke to (4 in all) could give me the info.

so I googled it and came up with GB744032068, which seems to be the number many threads and discussion forums state.

I'm just shocked at the shocking customer service TT provide. Having been a customer for 5 whole days now, I can't wait for the other 359 to pass, so I can move to an ISP that treats its customers with respect.

Andy

Hi Andy

If you are still in the cooling off period, you can leave now without a penalty.

Dumped in the recycle bin called Escalated Threads.
Still being Ignored by the OCE,s
Occasional Contributor
n2adl

I asked about leaving, but as soon as I hit the 'go live' date...I would incur a charge, so even though I joined 5 days ago....I'm stuck for another year :-(

as for being ignored by TT....its like any other large corporate....they just don't care

I wouldn't mind, if their customer service was better, they would attract so many more customers

Andy